Saturday, February 13, 2010

Grown Up Tomato Soup and Grilled Cheese

Are you looking to update your favourite childhood meal to your sophisticated, adult tastes? Simple!

Start with a homemade bowl of tomato soup. No need to put too much effort into it; just mix some canned crushed tomatoes with some broth (we had homemade chicken broth in the freezer, but a good store bought brand is just fine) and some flavouring agents and spices, and let it simmer for a little while.

Onto the sandwich. The foodie's secret to a phenomenal grilled cheese is quality ingredients. Choose wisely, keeping in mind that there are a few easy ways to sneak in extra flavour. For example, this fresh loaf we bought at the farmers market is a rye bread with caraway seeds. I love how fragrant it is!

Of utmost importance, of course, is the cheese. My suggestion is to go with either something that is flavoured (like an herbed Gouda, Havarti, or Monteray Jack) or something smoked. Pictured here is one of my favourites, apple wood smoked Cheddar cheese. The beauty of using it in a grilled cheese (or in just about anything, really) is that it tastes a bit like bacon. The taste of bacon in your grilled cheese without having to bother frying any? Yes, please!


Are you ready for this?

Oh, yes.

Mmmmmmm! Although reminiscent of everyone's familiar childhood meal, this gourmet version takes the concept of tomato soup and grilled cheese to a whole new level. Homemade soup, even a quick one such as this, always has a lot more depth and flavour than what comes out of a can, and the sandwich, when made with quality bread and cheese, is a little taste of happiness. I guarantee that this meal will put a smile on anyone's face. Personally, my inner child jumped for joy while my matured taste buds savoured every element.

Lastly, I think you all know what to do: dip that baby!

Quick Homemade Tomato Soup: The Recipe
Amanda's notes: If you would like to make a heartier meal out of your soup, add a handful of macaroni and a drained and rinsed can of beans.

Ingredients
olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced

6 cups broth (chicken, beef, or veggie)
2 large cans crushed tomatoes, plain
1 tsp crushed red pepper
2 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
about a palm full each of basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary
kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste

Directions
Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Add onion, saute a few minutes. Add garlic, saute a few minutes more. Add broth and tomatoes, bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer. Add rest of the ingredients. Simmer for 30 minutes. Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. It's funny - I never had the 2 together when I was a kid. They were always snacks & never meals. I love the "grown-up" Grilled Cheese sandwich. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kev and I eat this kind of thing for lunch on Saturdays. Super yum! I love grown-up versions of classic kid foods

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, taste traveller! Ha ha, really? Wow, you missed out on a classic combo :)
    Thanks! It wasn't until I was 20 years old that I had a grilled cheese made with REAL cheese. My life changed that day.

    Hey Kris! I love them too! And lunches like this are the best. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love apple wood smoked cheddar. One of my faves. Also love Beemster... but I can't bear to melt it in a grilled cheese sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure I've heard of Beemster. I will look into it! Thanks for your comment, Hungry Gal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must to say the cheese drives me crazy, I approach every time for eat cheese and I add in my recipes all the time. I read some days ago the cheese have many properties and vitamin. The most important thing is the potassium and calcium the cheese contain. I am sure that When i buying my house through costa rica homes for sale i will prepare a dinner for all my friends and I will add many cheese. That will be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete